photo 1-home-1.jpg photo 2-about.jpg photo 3-sponsor.jpg photo 4-faq.jpg
 photo header.jpg

Thursday 21 July 2011

Lou's Reviews :: MAC Haute and Naughty Lash Mascara

Aloha Bloggerinos,

Remember a couple of months back I went to the snazzy MAC Event for the Baftas? Well, whilst I was there they gave us all an AMAZING (seriously, I squealed) goodie bag and this was one of the products in it. The MAC Haute and Naughty Lash Mascara.


I've seen quite a few drugstore dupes of this two wand mascara and was eager to try it and see for myself.

The idea is that if you want day-time yet defined lashes, you can use the pink ended wand, but if you prefer a thicker, fuller look, use the purple glittery end. Simples.


So does it work?

The idea of having a multifunctional product really floats my boat- saves space, money and waste- what's not to like?

The pink end actually does give a smooth, natural look that is still noticeable but not really full on. It's ideal if you are doing a low key fluttery girlie look. A negative for the pink wand though is that it is very flimsy. When I comb it through my lashes it feels like because the wand 'stem' is so thin it kind of bends and that takes a bit of getting used to. Not brilliant if you are in a real hurry.

The glittery end is my favourite by a long shot. It takes plenty of mascara fluid onto the brush, glides through the lashes with ease and gives a really full dramatic effect. (Next time I use it, I shall take pics and update this post! *Slaps wrist for not doing it today*)



This mascara doesn't clump, is easy to remove (saying that, I use Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish which I suspect could remove super glue it's that good) and can withstand a few tears, despite it not being waterproof.

As with quite a few MAC mascaras the actual fluid is very wet, which is great because it goes on well but you have to be careful not to blink too much whilst it sets, otherwise you have that delightful black-mascara-splodges-on-perfectly-applied-eyeshadow look. Does anyone else have that ever? It drives me insane!

All in all, I thought this was good, but not great. Usually, I can't rate MAC products highly enough, but at an rrp of £17.50, I think this is perhaps rather steep for something that isn't woweeamazing. I'll definitely finish the tube and will enjoy using it, but for that price, I wouldn't repurchase. Instead, I would consider one of the drugstore options.

To read the official MAC blurb, click HERE.

What do you think? Is £17.50 worth it?

Toodlepip!

xx

23 comments:

  1. I couldn't get on with this mascara at all :o( Luckily I got it free too - I would have been distraught if I'd have spent £17.50 on it! It was way too clumpy for me on the lashes and I found it too wet to work with. I know others love it though so I'm probably the minority! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this mascara, its the only highend mascara I have, as I normally use drugstore. I think I might try the rimmel version to see if that's any good and if it isn't I will probably re-purchase, its like 2 mascaras in 1 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Louise,

    I agree with you, for almost £18 it's a wee bit pricey for my liking when you could go for something like the Bourjois alternative which I haven't tried myself but I'm sure it's just as good because as of late their products are seriously up to par! Hope you've had a fab day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. argh totally know what you mean, just cant help blinking sometimes, ruins my eyes and i can never get it back to being perfect again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine paying $18+ for a mascara.. i'm hooked on Grow Luscious by Revlon and I love it! If I were to go for a higher end mascara i'd go for the DiorShow from Sephora. I love the packaging on that MAC mascara though.. super cute! Great review Lou! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never pay that much for a mascara I don't think, it's just not something I'm interested in. I've been liking Maybelline's One By One but it's started flaking after a few hours and drooping. Not a good look, maybe even worse than the mascara-on-perfectly-applied-eyeshadow look? You bet'cha! Soph xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen a lot of dupes of this product, so much that when I saw the picture I thought it was the Rimmel London version. That price is well to steep and if the drugstore version works just as well there is no point paying the extra money xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got this as a freebie too! I wouldn't have paid for it but I do like it. £17.50 is a silly price! If it was £13.50 like the other MAC mascaras I might consider it. I hate the price of mascaras in general! I was in Superdrug today and Maybelline mascaras were almost £9! Since when were drugstore mascaras so expensive?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Stacey! If only there were a way to make your own mascara... someone needs to look into this! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey :-)

    i was thinking about getting this, but wasn't sure, so i purchased the rimmel london equivalent. i found it quite tricky to work with, so i am glad i didn't spend £17.50 on this one! however, the bottle is very pretty - i am automatically attracted to pink and purple glittery things?! &ohmygod i hate it when you spend ages on your eyeshadow and then mascara splodges totally ruin it!:-(

    thankyou for this review, it really helped!:-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well if you find a cheap mascara with a formula you like, you can buy disposable wands in various shapes and find what works for you but it sounds like a faff! I was sure drugstore mascaras were only £4 max!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have wanted to try this product for some time, but for mascara i usually won't pay more then $10 i just haven't had any expensive ones do something amazing!

    xoxo,
    Heather

    http://heatheramarie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got this mascara free when MAC website was down for a while I'm on the fence too with it, its a decent mascara, the pink bit is really too thin though and feels a bit flimsy.
    I love the look the sparkly bit gives but for £17.50 I'd expect WOW!

    Lovely review

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had Mac zoom lash and hated it so Ive never been tempted by another. There are so many amazing cheaper mascaras out there now, dont think ill ever pay top end prices. I do love the little bit of pink and glitter on it tho x x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. my sister uses this and loves it! havent tried it myself though i do have the rimmel copy which i quite like. doubt id spend that much on the mac one tbh xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mascara isnt really a big item in my make up bag so i dont tend to splurge on it like i would on a good foundation or powder

    http://peachfizzz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been really curious about it- looks promising and like something I'd wanna have in my kit but didn't know if it was worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i haven't heard many good things about mac mascaras, but the packaging of this product is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to see photos of this once you've got it on!

    http://whatwilltheneighborssay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh I bought it for that much! I don't mind it but don't love it enough to send that much on re-purchasing. Luckily I got a free one with a MAC order a little while ago :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally *love* this mascara, though :o) It was my first mascara, so I can't compare well, but oh well- it works *amazingly* for me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have two of the drugstore versions of this, the Bourjois Volumizer and Rimmel Day 2 Night. Im not too keen on the Bourjois one but the Rimmel one i really like! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. i think, there are other mascaras that are as good as this one but don't cost that much... i really like the ones by l'oréal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comment!
Sprinkleofglitter xxx

 photo newer.jpg  photo older.jpg  photo homebot.jpg